Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why I’m Patriotic

I would not consider myself of having possessed the trait of patriotism for more than a few months. But I have long felt as though I was supposed to possess it.  DSC00676

When younger, I was not too proud of Americans; I felt that many of them (though none of the ones I knew well) were ignorant and arrogant.

But this feeling as though I was supposed to be patriotic kept nagging at me. It became an especial issue when I began dating a man whose favorite holiday is Independence Day and then wedded into a particularly patriotic family. (Maybe this is why Brandon seemed to have no qualms with my visiting the East (and in turn Washing D.C. and Philadelphia) for so long.)

I must say that viewing the many memorials of individuals and events pertinent to the history of the United States of America truly influenced me. The Lincoln memorial in particular. I wasn’t expecting that since I have done a lot of studying and reading about this nation’s history; none of it was new to me.

                      DSC00525      DSC00526

What sealed the deal, though, was a quote that gave a definition of freedom.

I do not think that every single individual wants to live in the USA. I do not think that this is the best and most superior country. I do not think that the “American Dream” is a reality in a lot of ways. I don’t think this nation’s government is free from the corruption and dishonesty that rules the governments of so many other countries.

But even as I write this I think about how blessed I am that I am allowed to voice such opinions. And I think about all the freedoms we do have. It has taken a lot of time to try to truly appreciate those freedoms without having ever known anything different.

“Liberty: which is freedom, the right of power to live one’s own life without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.” Red Skelton

DSC00500

When this nation was founded, it was unlike any other. The government formed here was a big deal. I can appreciate that. And I can appreciate that it was the best government of its time and, truly, it was directed by the hand of God. I recognize that this is a land of promise and it is great. I am so grateful for the freedoms I have always known, the lack of fear and the possibility for opportunity and change at personal and beyond personal levels. I am saddened by the abuse the word and the idea of freedom has taken by citizens of this country. And though I do not always agree with what our leaders do with the military, I recognize there are many trials for the individuals and their families who belong to and work for the military. My gratitude for them is typically demonstrated through silent tears.

For these reasons, I am patriotic. God bless America.

2 comments:

Anne Burnett said...

Nice post, Angela. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. (And nice hat on that babe.)

Dadburnit said...

Wow... this is beautiful... masterful... so well-written. Thank you for being the person that could feel and write these comments.